My Project Work

My current project work is researching the PBL (project based learning) process at three levels, elementary, middle and high school. I am fortunate to work in an innovative environment that allows for me to co-facilitate pbl work at all levels 4th-12th grade.

What I have discovered this year is that I am really passionate about PBL work. Although I have known this all along being in an environment where the day to day reality allows for PBL work to occur fairly seamlessly is pretty amazing.

This year's journey has had some successes and some bumps along the way. I have documented the entire journey in another blog called "Two Educators, One Journey." The "Two Educators" blog consists of daily reflective posts not only on my PBL work but on the year in general.

"
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome."
Arthur Ashe

Monday, January 17, 2011

Work Habits Last Week

Last week I think my work habits were okay. On the plus side I was able to manage all the PBL work but on the delta side I did no writing on my dissertation. It is hard to not have any space in the day to plan because then what happens is we end up planning all evening long which was previusly my writing time. On the plus side again I am collecting some good data on PBL for both OH Institute and my dissertation.

I think that I got distracted from my writing because I am having to pay so much attention to the structured PBL. No longer are the students in the driver's seat but rather we, the facilitators, are in the driver's seat. As Harry Wong would say, "Who is doing the work here?" The answer is the facilitators. The next question becomes, "Who is doing the learning?" The answer would most likely be both in this instance. However, the learning is highly facilitator directed.

This week what I plan to do differently is carve out some time for writing. I have set aside time starting on Thursday and I plan to stick to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment