My Project Work

My current project work is researching the PBL (project based learning) process at three levels, elementary, middle and high school. I am fortunate to work in an innovative environment that allows for me to co-facilitate pbl work at all levels 4th-12th grade.

What I have discovered this year is that I am really passionate about PBL work. Although I have known this all along being in an environment where the day to day reality allows for PBL work to occur fairly seamlessly is pretty amazing.

This year's journey has had some successes and some bumps along the way. I have documented the entire journey in another blog called "Two Educators, One Journey." The "Two Educators" blog consists of daily reflective posts not only on my PBL work but on the year in general.

"
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome."
Arthur Ashe

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

End of Day Reflection 1/19

Did I achieve my goals? Why or why not?
  • I achieved the finishing creating the OHpedia rubrics with the students and sharing the rubrics with the students.
  • I did accomplish doing some research along with the students. I mainly worked with Alex on helping her to find resources for her benchmarks. I learned a bit about how during WWI some African Americans joined the military to try and gain some more respect in American society.
  • What I learned about myself as a facilitator is that I get really disappointed in the students when they do not want to engage in the PBL process. I am disappointed in myself for not being able to get them going and I am disappointed in them for wanting to be spoon fed. Randy and I had a brief conversation about motivation being the hardest part of this structured project. I do want to do an inquiry on when they are given more choice in topic if they still have difficulty with self motivation. This is something that I will need to think more about before Friday.
  • Project plans that are finished: Davis, Hannah, Leah/Cale, Hunter/Nathan, Joanna/Chase, and McKenzie/Kylie. Still need to finish: Connor/Alex, Mira/Taylor, Alyssa, Mitchell and Mason. This task is monumental and consists of a check in and then a follow up about every hour to make sure that they are working and to see if they need any support (sometimes just word of encouragement).
What did I notice about myself as a learner today?
  • I love to learn and would rather spend my time researching and learning with the students instead of checking off their project plans.
What went well today?
  • Lots of things went well. Plans got done, Davis has his first part of his OHpedia entry done, mysterious package and ms watched and reflected on a social studies video together...
What do I need to change next time I facilitate PBL?
  • Bring the motivation a bit more. I feel like now that we are into the work and it is hard the students are starting to hit the doldrums a bit.
What do I need help with on Friday (from facilitators)?
  • I need Randy to help me bring the motivation.
How would I rate myself as a facilitator today?
  • I would give myself a decent rating for following through and giving feedback. Was it my best day ever? No, but it was a good day in terms of getting things accomplished and following up with students.

No comments:

Post a Comment